Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Are you a fly fishing minimalist, or a full blown gear geek who has to have every piece of gear imaginable?


My first fly fishing trip for trout was in the summer of 1999. I went up to the Little Red River in Arkansas, and spent three long days fishing and caught one 12 inch brown trout. To say it was a learning experience is an understatement. Much to my chagrin the one twenty minute casting class that I had taken at Bass Pro Shops, and practicing a few times in the grass. Did not make me an effective enough caster to catch very many trout. I also learned that while it's a good idea to invest in quality gear(I didn't). It's more about the angler themselves than what brand of rod they're using.


So, there I was at the public access area behind the dam on the Little Red. With my beginners "Hobbs Creek" fly rod and reel kit from Bass Pro with the neon orange fly line. My hip boot waders, a box of the wrong flies,too large of a leader tied on, and a ton of cheap vest tools and zingers all over my very cheap vest. The world record brown trout at the time had been caught on the Little Red by Rip Collins. It was a 40 pounder caught in 1992, and I was going to break Rip's record!    


First cast--the fly might have gone the length of my rod.

Second cast--well that's not far enough, let's false cast a few times and go!.....zoink....in a tree behind me.   
Third cast--Ok, concentrate now, oh wow! Pretty good! Not at all where I was aiming but ok.
Fourth cast--Knocked off my own hat.

So, as you can imagine after doing this for a while and having to take thirty minutes to untangle the worst mess ever. I decided that maybe I should move downriver and try to find someplace no one could see me. Instead I decided it would be a good idea to watch some of the other fly fisherman close by. 


There were two in my viewing range. The first was a guy probably in his mid thirties that was decked out in a lot of very,very nice and expensive looking gear. The second was an older gentleman wet wading without waders and not even a vest. Since I thought that the first guy MUST know what he's doing to have all of that awesome gear. I focused in on him. He wasn't casting at the moment so I approached him and introduced myself. His first words to me after hello were to ask me what kind of rod I was using. I sheepishly showed him my Hobbs Creek, and he proudly brandished his Sage. 


He had on a water resistant felt fedora hat. The most expensive vest Orvis sold at the time (I only knew that because I had drooled over it in their catalog). Simms Guide series waders,fingerless gloves(did I mention it was July?),tons of zingers on his vest. Both straight and curved hemostats,knot tying tool,leader straightener,two clippers, and one zinger was stretched in his right hand which was in the water. When I asked him what he was doing he pulled his hand up from beneath the surface of the river and told me it was a thermometer. He then educated me on the fact that if the water temp is too high, trout become sluggish and won't feed. He went on to say that must be why he wasn't catching anything. Did I mention we were about 500 yards from the dam, and the water was cold as hell?  


Anyway, I thought how lucky I was to have found such an expert fly fisherman to learn from! He went on "teaching" me about fly fishing. Although his teaching revolved more around what I NEEDED to buy than any useful fishing tips. I thanked this nice gentleman for his time and went back to thrashing the river myself.  


I watched him for the remainder of the day, and saw him again and again during my trip at different parts of the river. During all of this time I never saw him catch a single trout. So, I thought, "wow if an expert like him is getting skunked then I don't feel so bad!"     


On the final day of my trip I took to the water again. I still hadn't caught a single trout at that point.I mean it was bad. I had at least gone to the local Orvis dealer there in Heber Springs and bought some beadhead sowbugs which are the go to fly on the Little Red. The nice gentleman that helped me at the Orvis shop took pity on me, and actually took me out to the parking lot for a free casting lesson. He showed me how to stop knocking my own hat off, and how to cast further than I could piss. He was a super nice guy, he even sat down and showed me how to tie the beadhead sowbug. I wish I could remember his name. I also wish that I had listened to him on hiring him as guide. I would have accelerated my fly fishing education tremendously, and would have probably caught more than one trout.  


I went back to public access area behind the dam again on that final day. There standing in the water again was the older gentleman that I had seen on the first day. Still with no waders on and no vest. He was catching trout after trout! I was amazed! I watched him for some time, and then he headed out of the water close to where  I was. I approached him and started asking him how he was catching all those trout. He simply said,"Olive Wooly Bugger." I then told him that he could cast really well, an asked how he learned. He answered, "I taught myself, just trial and error." I then asked about his rod. He told me it was a "Wal-Mart special"  A beginner's fly rod and reel kit in a box that he had bought at his local Wal-Mart. He then told me the story about how he had left it on top of his truck the week before and had ran over it, breaking the top piece. No sweat, he just went to the Wal-Mart there in Heber Springs and found another cheap rod that the piece fit his. Then it was back to fishing.


I thanked him, and he was on his way. I walked down onto the water and stood there for a while just thinking. I realized in that moment that gear. What kind or how much, has very little to do with being a good fly fisherman. It takes time,and practice to perfect a good cast. It takes time and study to learn how to present flies properly.  I also learned that for whatever reason. Having the right attitude about fishing will help you catch more fish. I can't explain it, but it's a fact.


I went on that afternoon, and FINALLY caught that ONE trout. No, not on an Olive Wooly Bugger. It was on one of those bead head sowbugs, but I was just glad to finally land one. 


I hope you enjoyed reading,


Tight Lines!


Shawn                               

8 comments:

  1. I know a guy like that. By the time he gets all his gear on, the fish have stopped feeding. Reminds me of the phrase "All hat and no cattle"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, I'm telling you. If I put that much gear on I'd be too tired to fish!

      Delete
  2. Great post. Sounds a lot like my first experience, except I hooked myself in the neck! My favorite is seeing the guys with neoprene waders in the middle of July (usually casting from the bank).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yeah, I get a kick out of watching guys in Texas and Oklahoma sweating to death in their waders in the summer. I'm usually just in a pair of shorts thinking,"man this cool water feels nice!"

      Delete
  3. We've all gone through that period in our fly fishing life. I can say that the old guy wasn't me, because if it'd been me, I would have given you a Olive Wooly Bugger and shown you how to fish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, it's true gentlemen of the sport such as yourself that have set the example for the rest of us to follow. Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  4. Hey I my friends I tell you something can you give me anwer Depending on what you are using the mono and hook may not be the best of quality. Also check carefully after each fish, Big Kings and Coho will nick 50# to the point of an easy break off on the next fish. Have extra hooks rigged to move the fly/ squid that's catching to a fresh set if they become damaged to any extent. Most Captains tie their own rigs to be safe. It's worth learning how. I use 50# Ande Mono and prefer a two hook set-up as indicated. The treble grabs quick and the single will work into a fish jaw better. Also note the spin-N-Glow added in front of the squid this is, at times, deadly for Coho and Lakers.
    Humptulips River Salmon Fishing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, given that it was your first time and you had no prior experience in casting, I’d say catching one was an achievement in itself. Although I’ve seen some who’ve gotten the hang of it after a few hours of practice. Lucky blokes. But all at their own pace. Hopefully we all learn how to cast like old man river and his Olive Wooly Bugger. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete